We have been a faith that is welcoming. Unitarian Universalism does not simply start its doorways to individuals of all intimate orientations and gender identities—we value variety of sex and sex and find out this diversity being a profound spiritual present.
“Discovering The Right Words”
Language about intimate orientation and gender identification changes and modifications: new terms are born; other words alter definitions. Learning exactly just exactly how each person utilize language to produce meaning is very important, as is making use of language that is inclusive. In discussion with several individuals and communities, we’ve developed latin dating some definitions that are working. Do not stop with one of these definitions, though–see the base of this site for next actions to deepn your understanding.
We affirm the worth that is inherent dignity of any individual. intimate orientation is just a central element of whom we are—being real to ourselves and honoring each other’s facts are a religious imperative.
Intimate orientation describes the pattern of a person’s intimate tourist attractions based on sex. Sexual attraction and attraction that is romantic usually lumped together as though these are the same. That’s not always the actual situation. Affectional orientation defines the pattern of a person’s attraction that is romantic or perhaps the sex for the individuals a individual falls deeply in love with or really wants to mate with.
You will find three basic forms of intimate orientations: Monosexual, polysexual, and asexual.
Some individuals are solely drawn to people of just one sex. Intimate orientation labels employed by individuals of the exact same intercourse include:
- Gay: generally relates to a guy that is drawn to males. Often means all those who are interested in folks of the exact same intercourse; often “homosexual” can be used with this additionally, even though this label is observed by many people today being a medical term that ought to be resigned from typical usage.
- Lesbian: a lady that is interested in females. Often also or alternatively “same gender-loving woman” or “woman loving girl.”
- Directly: a person that is solely drawn to females or a female that is solely drawn to males; additionally often generally speaking utilized to individuals whoever sexualities are societally normative. Alternatively called “heterosexual.”
Many people are interested in people of numerous genders. Intimate orientation labels utilized by polysexual individuals consist of:
- Bisexual: interested in individuals of an individual’s very own sex and individuals of other gender(s). Also known as “bi.” See Bisexuality 101 for more information.
- Pansexual: drawn to individuals aside from sex. Often additionally or alternatively “omnisexual.”
- Queer: much like pansexual, queer are an identity label and thus you were drawn to individuals of numerous genders; but, queer is a multi-faceted term with one or more meaning and employ, and it is regarded as unpleasant by some individuals. See Queer 101 to find out more.
Many people try not to experience intimate attraction. People this relates to determine as asexual.
- Asexual: perhaps maybe not intimately drawn to anyone and/or perhaps maybe maybe not performing on attraction to anybody. Will not suggest sexless. Asexual people often do experience affectional (romantic) attraction.See Asexuality 101 for more information.
Some people don’t like and don’t use labels in addition to the above. Others identify as Questioning: a phrase utilized to describe somebody who is not sure of or checking out their orientation that is sexual and/or identification.
Gender Identity and Expression
We affirm each person’s ability to evaluate in the way that is most authentic to their soul for themselves who they are and express themselves. We honor the diversity of truths that exists inside our communities.
Gender is multi-faceted and complex. In North culture that is american distinct issues with ourselves have lumped together as soon as we talk about “gender”:
- Biological Intercourse: characteristics such as for instance physiology, chromosomes, and hormones this is certainly frequently assigned at delivery and inform whether you were male, feminine, or intersex.
- Gender identification: An individual’s interior feeling of being a guy, a female, neither of those, both, and so on—it is one’s internal feeling of being and one’s own knowledge of how one pertains to the sex binary. Except for agender individuals, whom usually would not have a sense that is internal of, people have gender identification.
- Gender Expression: the real ways an individual manifests masculinity, femininity, both, or neither through appearance, behavior, gown, message patterns, choices, and much more.
The social expectation is that one’s biological sex, sex identification, and sex phrase will align in stereotypical means: that somebody who is male will identify as a boy/man while having a masculine gender expression, as an example. This expectation doesn’t provide our world that is diverse and array experiences of self that you can get.
For lots more definitions about sex identification and phrase, see Transgender 101. We likewise have resources for Queer and Trans Youth.
Definitions can’t ever encompass whom we have been as complete people. The religious invite is to get a cross divides of distinction and just simply simply take dangers by authentically deciding to get acquainted with each other. Labels may be tools of liberation or oppression—it’s all in just exactly just how we utilize them. Therefore do not stop with merely learning definitions. Listed here are three steps that are next certainly deepening your understanding.
- Explore your own sense of self: exactly What perform some definitions above talk about for you personally? Just exactly exactly What language do you really used to describe your sense that is own of?
- Speak to people you trust about intimate orientation and sex identification. Inquire further respectfully what’s true that you are curious about for them and talk about the things that confuse you or.
- Develop relationships with individuals who possess various intimate orientations and gender identities from your own. Be respectful of every person’s straight to privacy by asking questions that are open-ended find out about how they feel the globe.